Monday, March 31, 2008

4th Question

This Sunday morning I went to my school. Surprisingly, an old building was torn down. I loved its red walls covered with green ivies. My school was founded in 1924, so it has many old buildings, some of which are more than 50 years old. But I expected that we could find another way to renovate them instead of destroying all of them.

Do you have any examples that old buildings were remodeled into new ones?
I really hope that my school's old buildings will survive the redevelopment trend

3 comments:

Judy said...

That's too bad. I think you have special emotion about that building. It looks so great. I understand your mind.
But I like a new building more than a old one. In Europe, there are a lot of historical buildings more than 200~300years old. But In korea, most of buildings was not well-built. Sometimes It could be dangerous for the students. Last year, the wall of my school destroyed in athletic class, Two students was injured. Because of last night's heavy rain.

Lucy said...

Hey, Kate!

I'm sad to hear that news. Was it too worn-out to use anymore? We usually tend to think brand-new one is better than old one. However, you know, it's not true. We want to return to the old days sometimes especially when we are weary and need something to rely on. Also we can get some precious lessons from the past. I wish your school had used the old building as a historic museum or that kind of use.
However, I haven't seen a successful case of that kind of remodeling around me.

Andy's said...

In front of our school building, there was a big oak tree in the garden. It was thick with leaves and made shades for the classroom.
But after one summer vacation I found it cut down. It was more than one hundred years old. I felt very angry for that. The principal cut it down without any consult with teachers. Something good disappear so easily.